Your passport is an important document. Losing it or having it stolen abroad could prove to be a stressful and costly experience. Here are our tips on looking after your passport when you go on holiday.
- When booking your trip ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond your return date
- Take two photocopies of your passport – give one to a relative or friend in the UK and take the other with you. Keep the photocopy separate from your passport
- Scan a copy of your passport and email it to yourself – it can then be printed off in an emergency
- Take additional photographic identification and keep it separate from your passport. You could also save valuable time by taking extra passport photos with you
Take care while you are away
- Keep your passport in a watertight plastic bag to prevent water damage
- Don’t leave your passport unattended or lying around in your hotel room. Think about your circumstances and decide on the safest place to keep your passport. If there is no safe in your room, consider asking the hotel or hostel manager to place it in their safe, or if one is not available keep it with you in a concealed money belt
- Be wary of anyone who requests that you surrender your passport – always confirm it is a legitimate request before handing your passport over. Be particularly careful handing it over for services such as car hire; if in doubt, ask if they will accept any other form of ID
Remember to report any theft of personal possessions, and any loss or theft of money to the police and hotel within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a written report.